Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Glace Quilt - Blocks Done

It's taken a few days, but I now have all 32 blocks completed. I started out sewing the base block onto a long strip, then cutting it to length with scissors. However, after 5 blocks I decided this wasn't accurate enough (though measuring the blocks shows they're all the 10.5" they should be), and also the method didn't lend itself to chain piecing which I prefer to do. So, most of Sunday was spent cutting my strips into the correct sized chunks, which made piecing the blocks much quicker. I also found a nice red dimples fabric at Hobbycraft, so I'm going to make the setting triangles from that, then decide what looks best for the borders. I think this quilt is going to be scrappier than I like, and I'm hoping that by framing it with a strong colour it'll tame it a bit. I'll do a layout on the carpet tomorrow and see how it grabs me.


  1. I think the red will definitely help keep the blocks under control, specially if you have a fairly wide border,and then quilt the heck out of it and that'll tame it down too. I've tried making the blocks as you did to start with, but that wasn't for Miss Impatient here, I found that cutting the strips first was the best for me.

  2. Chain-piecing is lovely and my preferred method too, but it is not the answer for every block. Doesn't look like it's held you back much though!

    Agree with QuiltSue, that lovely red will pull everything together.